Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bring on the spring

It's snowing right now, big heavy flakes. Winter is still here. But we sampled a taste of spring last week with the temperature in the low 60s, and my mind turned to fly-fishing for native brook trout in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The mountains are calling my name. I can just about hear the fiddle whispering through the pines, the banjo rushing up the trail and the mandolin winding down the mountain. Just a few more weeks before I am knee deep in a stream.

My mind is on the spring despite the weather. In my first post, I had debated starting out by reviewing a winter beer or a spring beer. It will be a spring beer. There's a six pack of Redhook Copperhook spring ale in my 'frig. It was the first spring beer I saw at my grocery store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to see someone who has their priorities straight. I'm looking forward to drinking guiness and green beer next week for the holidays. I recently had Dark Horse Ale. Have you tasted this one? Very refreshing. I believe they're out of Michigan just like your Bell's.

Anonymous said...

jeff, it's 55 here and sunny. but after the week of 20 degree weather it feels like 70. i'm looking forward to some spring time beer drinking. would you consider pacifico a spring time or summer beer?

Anonymous said...

i'm not so sure one should consider green beer "seasonal," but i love your attitude. I had a Smithwick's and a Guiness last week just to get warmed up! Hubby's been out west, spent the week drinking Fat Tire and noted that New Belgium DID have a spring-type brew on the grocery shelf.
And, so far as artwork, Jeff: You can never go wrong with Flying Dog, huh??