Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Commenting on the comments

In the old days, some might have called this answering the mailbag. But in the electronic world, there is no mailbag. I'm simply answering or responding to feedback, where no postage stamp, just an internet connection, is required.

AZ wants to know:
"it's 55 here and sunny. but after the week of 20 degree weather it feels like 70. i'm looking forward to some spring time beer drinking. would you consider pacifico a spring time or summer beer?"

Great question, and it raises a philosophical-slash-mental issue. At face value, one might consider Pacifico a summer beer. However, if you're suffering from cabin fever and a Pacifico will get you out of the winter doldrums, then I consider Pacifico an anytime beer.

James wrote:
"I'm thrilled to see someone who has their priorities straight. I'm looking forward to drinking guiness and green beer next week for the holidays. I recently had Dark Horse Ale. Have you tasted this one? Very refreshing. I believe they're out of Michigan just like your Bell's. "

James -- thanks for taking note of my priorities. I'm in favor Guiness but opposed to green beer. Here's a question for the masses: Do they drink green beer in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day? To your question, no I have not tasted Dark Horse Ale or anything from
Dark Horse Brewing Co. It appears the brewers make a spring/summer beer. However, it doesn't look this Michigan brewery distributes to the East Coast.

Robin wrote:
"i'm not so sure one should consider green beer "seasonal," but i love your attitude. I had a Smithwick's and a Guiness last week just to get warmed up! Hubby's been out west, spent the week drinking Fat Tire and noted that New Belgium DID have a spring-type brew on the grocery shelf. And, so far as artwork, Jeff: You can never go wrong with Flying Dog, huh??"
Smithwick's and Guiness are two fine St. Patrick's Day choices. Can't go wrong there. Fat Tire - New Belgium, the maker of Fat Tire, needs to come east of the Mississippi. I have some friends in the Rocky Mountains, and I'll see I can't persuade one of them to ship a six-pack of the spring beer,
Springboard, to me. According to New Belgium's web site, Springboard is an "ale brewed with wormwood, goji berries and schisandra." For you absinthe drinkers, you'll recognize wormwood as one of absinthe's ingredients. And Robin, you are correct on Flying Dog's artwork. An homage to Hunter S. Thompson, Flying Dog's labels are created by Ralph Steadman, a longtime friend of Thompson. Flying Dog started out in Aspen, not far from Thompson's home in Woody Creek. Flying Dog also makes a spring ale, Heller Hound Maibock, and it should be in stores now.

No comments: