Sunday, March 11, 2007

Redhook Copperhook spring ale

Redhook's Copperhook was the first spring beer I noticed in the grocery store, so I picked it up. It was on sale for $6.49. That's a fair price but I wouldn't go much higher. (I'll discuss my philosophy about beer prices in another entry).

Malts are sweet smelling, giving the impression of a somewhat sweet beer. But the citrus taste, lemon-like, balances any appearance of sweetness. I didn't catch the spiciness of the hops that others have. Copperhook is not a heavy beer -- you can put back more than a few without feeling full. Plus, alcohol content is moderate (4.5% by volume) -- you can put back more than a few without getting hammered. (
PSA: Don't drive drunk).

The color of this beer is more amber than copper despite the name. Pictured on the label are salmon, and
Alaska's Copper River salmon run is one of the most famous in the world. Because Redhook started out in Washington state and Copper River salmon are flown directly to Washington for shipment to the rest of the country, that could account for the name of the beer as well. (Aside: Copper River salmon should start showing up in grocery stores in May.)

(Update: My theory on the name is true, according to the linked story.)

Overall, this was a decent beer. Not my favorite but certainly worth purchasing again, especially if you're outside hanging with friends.

Three stars (out of five).

Quick facts
Availability: mid-January to late April.
Alcohol percentage by weight: 4.5%.
Brewed since: 2001
Package format: Bottle, keg

No comments: